Brokers at FCA have always been governed by the principle of “Our Policy – Your Protection”. The professional standards of our regulatory RIBO act also confirm this concept, committing all licensed brokers to exacting standards of service, respect and confidentiality, to protect not only your personal assets, but also your personal data and privacy.
Purpose of Information Collection
In order to serve your best interests as your broker, we need to gather specific information about you and your situation. This enables us to:
- Understand your needs;
- Analyze the suitability of our insurance and financial products or services for you;
- Determine your eligibility for our products and services;
- Set up, manage and offer products and services that meet your needs;
- Provide you with ongoing service with accurate, current information;
- Guard against errors and fraud;
- Meet our legal and regulatory requirements; and
- Facilitate the underwriting process and insurance claims.
This information may be gathered from you, from other industry partners, such as insurance companies or brokers from credit organizations or from motor vehicle licensing and reporting authorities.
In general, your consent to our obtaining and using relevant personal information is implicit in your request to us to consult, negotiate or obtain insurance coverage for you. We may, however, still obtain your express consent as part of the application process.
Limiting Information Collection
We will only gather information that is relevant and necessary to arrange insurance protection for you and assess your possible needs for related products. We will not retain that information for any longer than is necessary. Examples of information we may need, include:
- Basic identification data such as name, address, birth date and contact numbers.
- Drivers licence number and conviction records
- Details about your home and its contents
- Credit and past payment records
- Claims history
- Medical information, where relevant to the type of insurance requested
- Financial records or statements
We will not share your personal information with anyone, other than those necessary industry partners with whom we work to arrange your protection. Some of the parties with whom we may share your information, however, include:
- Insurance companies
- Other brokers or agents
- Financial institutions with interests in your property
- Claims adjusters
We are committed to ensuring that the information we use on your behalf, is as precise and up-to-date as possible. The success of our services for you depends on the accuracy of that data. During the course of our day-to-day interactions with you, we will routinely verify the information in our records.
You have our further commitment to protect your personal records, whether in printed or electronic form, from any unauthorized access. We keep records of any breaches in our security and will notify you if such a breach has created a risk of harm to you.
Accessing Further Information